Monday, April 4, 2011

Week 9 - Podcasting

This week I learned about podcasting and different uses for them, especially in education. The articles that I read about podcasting explained what podcasting was, how to retrieve a podcast, and how to create your own. Also, the articles went in depth about the benefits of podcasting, primarily in the classroom, and the issues that arise around podcasting. One article by MacWorld described how to make your own video podcast, also known as a vodcast. It was all very informative and prepared me to make my own podcast which is an activity that I must do for this class, but I will probably use in the future.

Being a teacher, I could see where this could be beneficial. Having extra aid for homework, providing material for students who were absent, and assigning projects that where students have to create their own podcasts are all advantages of podcasts. Although personally I would want more physical, interactive learning with my students, not just listening or new technology to teach the students. For me, the internet can be a distraction at times, and teaching young students the internet could definitely be a distraction. I just believe students learn best with hands-on activities and even interactive videos or activities online. I think podcasts could be beneficial in my classroom, but for limited purposes.

This is what it seems that are classrooms are coming to because of iTunes being such an influence on young people. It is starting to flood over into the classroom and sometimes that is really helpful, but in this depiction it is making fun of it. As the teacher is trying to teach her students, the students are engulfed in the new technologies of this age.

No comments:

Post a Comment