Thursday, April 7, 2011

Week 12 - Cloud Computing

This week the topic was cloud computing, which is sharing information by a computer network. You are able to use tools that usually must be downloaded or tied to one computer but otherwise are online or everyone to share, use, and change. One of the most common way people use cloud computing is through Google Documents. It is remarkable to me how multiple people can change a document or a piece of information at the same time, it is a representation of our vastly technologically progressive world. Another resourceful tool we learned about was social bookmarking that allows people to share links with people and label them to make it easy for people to find something specifically pertaining to what they are looking for. As well, it is simpler for you to find much later when you have accumulated many different sites and articles and other resources.

As a teacher, cloud computing would be something that is used on a day-to-day basis to find resources and share documents. I think this would be something that I would use most because I would be searching for information and resources to use in my classroom. It would be great to share documents with teachers around the world and get their inputs in lesson plans and other information that I will relay to my class. This kind of technology allows my classroom to be a more diverse and thought-provoking.





The video above shows the usefulness of cloud computing and how more beneficial it is than using servers. You do not need any hardware other than on your own computer. It is easier to use and much cheaper. As many people as wanted can visit the site and use it and it will never get clogged. I love the way the man in the video explains how it works and I hope more people take advantage of this tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment